Time for a short diversion from wrapping up our look at Hadoop to catch up on the news…
New technology releases:
- Version 1.2 of Apache NiFi is out. See the summary of new changes for details.
- Apache Ignite and it’s commercial edition GridGain Professional have seen a big 2.0 releases with a complete redesign of the off-heap memory architecture which should allow the extension of in-memory data structures to SSD disks. See the Ignite announcement and the GridGain Professional announcement for more details.
Interesting blog posts:
- eBay on their use of Hue, Zeppelin and Knox
- Some thoughts on being a Data Engineer
- A post from Confluent (who are therefore slightly biased) on why Kafka Streams Tables provide a better solution that windowing and watermarks (with specific reference to the Beam API) for calculating rolling aggregates of revisions or updates
- Hortonworks have been on a bit of a roll with multi-part blog posts:
- How to backup and recover Solr
- An official docker image for Flink is now available from Data Artisans
- Using Spark Streaming and MapR-Streams from the MapR blog
- And a couple of interesting posts from Adrian Colyer’s The Morning Paper