Right, time for the news again, and it feels like a busy release week…
Technology updates (details are on the relevant technology pages):
- It’s Cloudera release time, with lots of Cloudera software seeing new releases:
- Apache Spark has hit 2.2, and it seems like our technology summaries are a bit out of date, so we’ll revisit them soon
- Apache HAWQ still seems to be going, with a 2.2 release
- Hue has hit 4.0, with a new UI
- An introduction to Elasticsearch from Elastic
- And also from Elastic on machine learning which is part of the Elastic X-Pack - Alerting on Machine Learning Jobs and Using Machine Learning for IT Ops
- Thoughts on how to store different types of data (entities, documents, graph, queue etc.) in Hbase
- From ZDNet, their introduction to Bullet, Yahoo’s recently open source tool for querying streams of data
- It looks like Basho is no more according to The Register, however there’s still hope that Riak will live on
- There’s now a web GUI “that an end user can use to view, upload, download, share, and manage their data in a SwiftStack cluster”
- Oh my word, it never ends! Part 6 of GridGain’s intro to Apache Ignite is now up.
- An article from Databricks on how much faster Databrinks in the cloud is that vanilla Spark on AWS
- Via The Register, Scality have released Zenko, an open source S3 gateway that can federate across multiple cloud and on premise object stores, with support to come for metadata attribute search and data management, replication and workflows. Sounds like we should look into object storage gateways at some point.